Android TV App Development: The Complete Guide To Build An Android TV App In 2023
In today’s era of advancing TV technology, enjoying content on big screens has taken on a new dimension, with smart television sets becoming the norm. When exploring the world of Android TV apps, one of the first considerations for enthusiastic users is the selection of the smart TV’s built-in operating system. How To Create Android TV App
Android TVs hold a unique advantage for users, as they allow for seamless transition from smartphones to the big screen without requiring major adjustments. Designed by Google, Android TV serves as a smart TV operating system that enables users to freely discover and stream content. It offers uninterrupted app running, voice and oral search capabilities, as well as phone-to-TV mirroring.
Due to its intricate Android TV app development, this platform has become one of the most popular choices for streaming content globally, second only to mobile devices. According to predictions from Statista, the number of users in the OTT video segment is expected to significantly increase and reach 3,508 million by 2027.
It is no wonder that millions of people find it easy to access and hold high opinions about Android TV, as it provides a favourable environment for video content providers. Studies conducted in countries like the United States reveal that the recent launch of several high-profile subscription streaming platforms has projected recurring growth, resulting in a skyrocketing number of subscribers in the market. According to Digital TV Research, the count of domestic SVOD subscriptions is expected to reach 307 million by 2025.
Given these predictive statistics, there is great potential in creating a customised Android TV app with built-in features of your choice, without relying on external sources. To gain a deeper understanding of its functionality, let’s delve into the definition and characteristics of Android TV apps. How To Create Android TV App
What is an Android TV App?
An Android TV app is software that can be downloaded and installed onto Android TV devices, allowing users to access on-demand video content that can be streamed directly to their televisions. In other words, it is an app that enables users to access OTT video services through their Android smart TVs.
Key Considerations for a Good Android TV App Android TV powers the smart components of many smart TVs, including popular brands like Philips and Sony. It continues to grow as a vital component of the smart home ecosystem. Before creating your own Android TV app, it is recommended to invest in a niche that is in high demand. For example, popular streaming niches today include entertainment, eLearning, fitness, eSports, religion, and more. By focusing on dedicated streaming services in these niches, you can attract a large number of paying customers.
According to Google, the platform has over 10 million users and more than 100 partners investing in TVs. However, it differs from Apple’s tvOS, which is exclusive to Apple TVs. Android TV is also used for streaming sticks and TV sets, and it shares similarities with platforms like Amazon’s Fire TV or Roku’s OS.
When developing an Android TV application, some key parameters to consider are:
- Content Accessibility: The interface should provide easy access to content, allowing viewers to quickly browse through channels or find streaming options. Displaying content in concise thumbnails, recommending personalised content based on viewing preferences, and enabling users to skip to the next episode without returning to the main menu are all important for a streamlined user experience.
- Intuitive UI: Since TV screens may not have the same high resolution as mobile devices, it is important to focus on a fundamental layout that optimises the user experience. This includes building the layout in landscape orientation, segmenting the screen for optimal use of horizontal space, auto-adjusting view positioning for different screen sizes, and ensuring content is displayed without clutter.
- Easy Navigation: The quality of the Android application depends on user navigation. To facilitate easy navigation with a TV remote, it is advisable to avoid complex elements like action bars or drop-down menus. Instead, enable a D-pad controller that allows users to comfortably use directional arrows for content selection. Breaking text into smaller chunks and employing easy-to-read fonts also enhances navigation.
Factors That Contribute to the Success of Android TV Apps Android TV provides a familiar and convenient environment for users, leveraging the widespread usage of Android as a smartphone platform. Its simple and minimalistic layout facilitates quick content discovery, app navigation, content streaming, and TV settings adjustments.
Here are some factors that contribute to the booming demand for Android TV apps:
- Convenience: Android-based smart TVs seamlessly integrate with other Android devices, such as tablets and smartphones. This functionality allows users to stream desired content without limitations, providing them with control over their viewing experience.
- Unlimited Customers & Accessibility: Android TV apps offer features like screen readers and closed captions, making the user experience accessible to a wide audience. Users can customise their device settings to enhance their overall experience, including options for low-light or noisy environments.
- Content Availability: To stand out in the highly competitive industry, it is essential to offer a vast collection of content. Android TV apps should focus on providing a variety of genres to cater to different viewer preferences, thereby building a strong rapport with the customer base.
- Content Licensing: Android market offers a licensing service that allows platform owners to enforce licensing policies for paid applications published via the market. This provides freedom to publish a wide range of content with lifetime ownership support. How To Create Android TV App
- Monetization Models: Android TV app developers can implement various monetization models, such as subscription plans or free trials for a limited time. Offering flexible business strategies allows users to choose the option that best suits their needs.
- Multi-Currency Support: Android TV apps should consider global reach and support multiple currencies. This ensures users can select their preferred payment method and facilitates expansion into new markets.
- Quality-Driven Content: Providing high-quality content is crucial for maintaining viewer engagement. Issues like buffering, pixelated images, or delays in live streams can negatively impact the user experience and lead to viewer attrition.
- Video Sharing and Distribution: Effective video distribution across multiple channels is a vital part of a marketing strategy. Content should be tailored to specific platforms and audiences to ensure maximum exposure and engagement.
- Smart Downloads in Apps: Implementing smart download features allows users to automatically download content while connected to a Wi-Fi network, saving data usage. Algorithms can recommend videos based on users’ watch history and genre preferences.
How to Create Android TV Apps Google’s Android Studio has long been a platform for creating Android apps. Android TV apps offer a rich user experience optimised for large-screen devices such as HD televisions. They present new opportunities for entertaining users in the comfort of their homes.
Here are the recommended approaches for creating Android TV apps:
- Use a Branded Over-the-Top (OTT) Solution: Over-the-Top platforms have longer viewer attention spans compared to other platforms. By offering branded OTT solutions, big brands can capture viewers’ attention for extended periods, increasing brand visibility. How To Create Android TV App
- Android TV App Streaming Features:
- User Login, Profile & Registration: Implement user registration procedures to allow users to create profiles and log in using email, Google accounts, or social media sites.
- Notifications & Push Messages: Utilise push notifications on Android TV to communicate with users effectively. Users typically opt-in to receive these messages upon downloading the app.
- Diverse User Settings: Provide a dedicated area for users to access various settings, such as channel setup, display, sound, external inputs, and network settings.
- Multiple-Language Support: Localize content offerings to reach a broader audience and establish effective communication with customers.
- Blocking of Screenshots: Implement screenshot prevention technology to secure content from unauthorised screen recordings.
- Administrator Panel:The administrator panel allows for complete control over the app’s backend, including adding, updating, deleting, or tracking artists and configuring various settings.
- Multi-Platform Support: Stream content to multiple OTT platforms simultaneously, expanding your reach and ensuring uninterrupted streaming for users.
- Payment Gateway Integration: Integrate a secure payment gateway to facilitate transactions within the app, providing users with a seamless payment experience.
In summary, when planning Android app development, it is crucial to tap into new TV-focused audiences. Developing Android TV apps requires careful consideration of design implications and user needs. While it may seem challenging, partnering with the right development company can lead to significant revenue opportunities. Brands should seize the advantage of being early adopters in the streaming game.
If you have an idea for launching an Android TV app, consider scheduling a free demo to embark on the road to TV app streaming success.